Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic All That Matters – Helping Friends Matters 15/? (Read 1457 times)
Vgerland
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

All That Matters – Helping Friends Matters 15/?
Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:30am

Superman took a position high above Metropolis closing his eyes as he opened his senses to the city below him.  He hovered there several minutes immobile except for the slight drifting of his cape billowing up gracefully behind him.  He had told Lois that he could hear everything but now he wondered just why he had felt a need to embellish his abilities.  Remembering that statement made him feel impotent and frustrated by his limitations for he could hear nothing of what he was seeking now. 

Opening his eyes he turned watching an ambulance momentarily as it trailed towards Metropolis General.  Then a loud crash of metal screeching as two cars collided caught his attention but failed to hold it.  These were things the police and people trained for emergencies could easily handle.  Dismissing the sirens and everyday crashes and screeches he listened and scanned elsewhere studying the city quadrant by quadrant determined to find what he was searching for.          

Xoxo

“Can I eat one now?  They smell so good.”  The little boy danced around circling the white haired woman as she pulled the cookie sheet out of the oven. 

“Let’s let them cool for a few minutes then you can have one along with a nice cold cup of milk.  Then you can decorate the rest,” she intoned with special emphasis. 

“Did my Daddy help you make gingerbread people when he was little?”

Martha stopped halfway to setting the cookie sheet down on the hot pads laid out on the counter, memories flooding her mind.  “Yes, he did” she smiled, “and if memory serves me he was not very good at giving them time to cool either.  As a matter of fact, to this very day he has a very bad habit of not waiting for anything to cool.”

Jason looked up at her as she finally set the cookie sheet down.  “Daddy was bad?”

Martha chuckled, “Oh no honey.  Your father was every bit as sweet and good as you.  He just loved hot baked goods right out of the oven, that’s all.  I think perhaps he’s tempted by the aromas even more than other people.  Maybe he has supper smelling along with his other abilities.”  She laughed. “Anyway, he just never quite understood why he should have to wait for anything to cool.”   

“Grandma I think I have super smell too cause I really can’t wait to taste the cookies they smell too good to wait.  And….and I’ve never had gingerbread people cookies before.”

“You are a little charmer just like your Daddy, how can I ever say no to such a sweet soul.” 

A short time later Jason was kneeling in a chair at the kitchen table his tongue sticking out his mouth as he concentrated on his work.  “Grandma, do you think they’ll like these?”  The little boy looked up from his work, brown smudges and colored icing around his mouth and coating both hands. 

“I’m sure they’ll all be delighted.”  She looked over at the Gingerbread grandma he had already proudly presented to her. 

Xoxo

Superman continued his surveillance of the city.  His eyes fell on a white van meeting the description of the one the kidnapper had used.  It was parked at a strip mall along with dozens of other cars.  Using his x-ray vision he looked inside the van immediately seeing the Joe’s plumbing signs in the back along with a tool box covered in stickers and nearby a blanket covered something on the floor.  Looking deeper he saw a man’s body. 

Shooting down he landed right next to a police car which was just a couple blocks away from where the van was parked.  The officer was just about to write a ticket.  “Officer a moment please.”

Seeing Superman land and motion to him he closed his ticket book and spoke to the driver.   “Today is your lucky day.  I suggest you watch your speed in the future.” 

As the office approached the squad car he spoke, “Um eh…you want to speak to me?” 

Wasting no time Superman answered directly.  “Officer, I just spotted the white van that was used in a kidnapping at the Metropolis Learning Academy earlier today.  It’s parked in the back of Lafayette Square and there is a dead man matching the kidnapper’s description inside under a blanket.  I spotted the van and contents from the air but didn’t want to risk contaminating the crime scene.  I believe that Inspector Henderson is heading up the investigation.” 

“Sir, I’m on my way, I’ll radio headquarters so they can alert Inspector Henderson.”

“Thank you.” Still not wanting to waste any time Superman shot back into the sky.  The officer, understanding the importance of the information he had just been given, climbed into his car starting the engine as he grabbed his radio and then raced off towards the location he had just been given.

Superman took his place back in the heavens and once again scanned the van determined to find any evidence that might be there starting with the body.  He was not willing to wait for the CSU to uncover any possible clues.  He didn’t recognize the man other than his fitting the description the kids had provided.  Looking closer he determined from the entry wound that the killer had been at a close range.  Looking even deeper still he caught his breath seeing the faint green glow emanating from the bullet fragments.  He was right on all counts.  It had been Luthor behind the kidnapping and he certainly did have kryptonite.   He breathed deeply settling his anger telling himself to be forewarned was to be forearmed.   

Pulling his vision out to a wider view he did a minute examination of the van and immediately noticed the many pieces of weeds, spores and dirt in the tire treads, wheel well and the undercarriage of the van.

Just as he was continuing his microscopic search of the van he saw the squad car pull up and the officer jump out.   Then his attention was diverted by a strong sensation that he absolutely refused to ignore even though he wasn’t sure what had caused it.  Somehow he had sensed that far off in Smallville Jason had just screamed. 

Xox

The officer looked up from the van hearing the familiar sonic boom glad the hero was back on the job and feeling a little giddy at having been singled out by him.  Never mind he just happened to be at the right place at the right time.  This was a story his wife and kids would thrill at hearing, how he had answered Superman’s call. 

Xox

Superman didn’t slow up till he blurred into the kitchen.  Sensing the scream from his son he had immediately thought the worse but the reality of the situation left him somewhat confused.  Jason was standing near the table with his hands and mouth covered in icing and cookie decoration.  Shelby was nearby wagging his tail and his mother was clearly amused at the whole situation especially it seemed that her son had just appeared out of nowhere looking bewildered.

“What happened, did you just scream?” was all he could say. 

“Shelby ate Mr. Cookie Jimmy.”  Jason said with distress evident in his voice. 

Superman looked even more baffled then noticed the cookies on the table decorated in varying degrees some recognizable some not.  His mother spoke up.  “Jason accidentally knocked one of the cookies he had decorated off the table and well, you know Shelby.”   

Finally relaxing he blushed at the memories that suddenly flooded his mind, “Yes, I do know Shelby all too well.  Jason, there are plenty more gingerbread cookies you can decorate.  Shelby was just hungry too that’s all. Besides if it fell on the floor you wouldn’t have wanted to eat it anyway.”

“But I was gonna ask you to take it to Mr. Jimmy for me.”    

“You can always make another one for Jimmy.  Is this one for me?”  He asked looking at the one with blue and red icing looking vaguely like Superman.

Jason smiled nodding happy and proud of his hard work.  Superman picked up the cookie and promptly bit off the top much to Jason’s horror.  “Daddy, you’re eating it!”

“Um…isn’t that what I was suppose to do?”  He was suddenly worried that he had hurt his son’s feelings and wasn’t sure what to do next.  He looked to his mother for guidance but she just suppressed a laugh and shook her head in answer.  He swallowed thinking to himself.  This father business was a lot harder than it looks.

Jason answered in a small hurt voice.  “I thought you would want to keep it. at least for a little while.”

“I’m sorry it just looked and smelled so good I couldn’t resist eating it right away.”  He looked down at the remaining cookie still in his hand still unsure of how to proceed.  “Can you make me another one too?” 

Jason sighed dramatically as if burdened, nodding his head as he climbed back up into the chair to get back to work.   

Superman finished the cookie in his hand deciding he might as well since all that was remaining was the torso and legs and boots.  Smiling down he watched as his son started working studiously on a new cookie with bright red hair.  Must be for Jimmy, he thought.  He noticed one with big glasses and a grey suit with the other decorated cookies.  “Is that one for me too?”

Ah huh.  Jason smiled proudly.  “That is Mr. Cookie Clark.” 

Superman picked it up very carefully and placed in on the plate next to the cookie Grandma he had noticed after making the mistake of eating the cookie Superman.  “This one I want to be sure to save.” 

Xoxo

Superman flew back to Metropolis dropping down to hide a small package before once again taking a place hovering high in the air scanning the area.  He gave one particular home and its inhabitant’s special attention as he pulled out his phone. He hesitated momentarily then retrieved the cell phone Bruce had given him a couple hours earlier, debating which phone to use.  Not wanting to take a chance with the unknown phone yet he started to put it back in his cape pocket but stopped and smiled as an idea crossed his mind.  He put his own phone back in its place as he watched and listened in to the house just below him.  Using the new phone he keyed in a number from memory. 

An officer motioned to Lois, “Just like we went over.  Let the phone ring at least three or four times before picking up. Just don’t let it go to voicemail.  Then if you think it’s the kidnapper try to keep the caller on as long as possible.” 

Lois nodded then taking a deep breath opened her cell phone waiting as long as she thought she should.  “Good Afternoon, this is Lois Lane, reporter for the Daily Planet may I help you.” 

“If you answer like that he’ll know the phone line’s tapped.  Better to use your usual greeting Miss Lane.” 

Lois knew full well it was Superman but she wasn’t sure he wanted her to divulge that to the officers in the room.  But then surely he knew they were there, and that they were trying to trace the call didn’t he?  Not entirely sure what he was up to she played it safe.  “Who is this?”

She knew who it was and he knew she knew and the absurdity lightened Superman’s mood even more than their son had just a few minutes earlier at the farmhouse.  “It’s that guy you saddled with the name Superman.”  He barely contained his amusement seeing her expression at that comment coming from him. 

He continued watching taking in the officer’s reactions as they listened in on the call and realized who was on the line at almost the same time they came up cold on the call trace.  Bruce was right.  The phone appeared as ‘untraceable’ on their sophisticated tracing system readout.  Most likely the phone was using a Wayne Enterprises communications satellite and a highly advanced and top secret one at that.  Perhaps almost as good as his own cell phone he had upgraded himself just before returning to Metropolis with his own special blend of Kryptonian technology modified to work with Earth equipment.   Lois’ response brought him out of his reverie. 

“Superman?  Um… you wanted to speak with me?”  She continued to play it cool for the benefit of the officers listening in. 

“I’m actually calling to speak with Inspector Henderson.  I just located the van used in the kidnapping and want to give him some additional information.”   

“Um just a second, Superman, Inspector Henderson just went out the door in a hurry.  Perhaps Richard can catch him.”  She motioned to Richard who nodded and headed out the door after the inspector who was just getting into his unmarked police car.      

His test completed he replied.  “Never mind, I’ll come there and catch him myself.  I need to speak with him privately.”

“Wait, aren’t you going to tell me….”  The line went dead and Lois looked at the phone wondering just what that was all about?  She didn’t even have to pretend bewilderment or annoyance.

Superman dropped down right next to Inspector Henderson’s car just as he was about to get inside.  “Superman?”  The older man seemed surprised.  “I was just on my way to that crime scene you reported.”

Superman quickly told the inspector what he had observed about the van and the victim inside including the fact that the man had been shot at close range in the chest with what appeared to be a hollow point bullet.

“You’re still sure Luthor is behind the kidnapping?”

Superman nodded taking a deep breath before answering. “That is why I wanted to speak to you privately, I would rather this not get out.  The bullet was tipped in kryptonite and fragmented upon impact.”   

“You saw the bullet, how?”

“I have X-ray and microscopic vision, remember?”

Inspector Henderson nodded and rubbed his chin in thought as the two continued to talk. 

“I’m pretty sure Luthor is guiding me right to him.  How many places around the city do you know that has overgrown plants and bushes that would have left so much evidence on that van?  I’m thinking an abandoned house in one of the luxury areas.” 

“You’re probably right but if Luthor has kryptonite bullets then you need to back off and let us handle this.  That monster will surely shoot you on sight if you appear anywhere in range.” 

“I just have to make sure he doesn’t see me then, don’t I.  Luthor is not going to scare me away when that little boy’s life may very well depend on my finding him.  Besides, we both know it’s me he really wants.”

The inspector shook his head in resignation.  “I’m not going to be able to dissuade you, am I?”  The two eyed each other and the older man sighed, “Will you at least agree to notify us before going in on your own so we can provide backup?”

“I’ll do my best.  I don’t have a death wish.  I just feel responsible for this.  Luthor needs to be put away where he can’t harm anyone else ever again.”

“Amen to that! Metropolis PD would like nothing more and we will certainly do our part, if you give us half a chance.”  He looked into the young hero’s face seeing agreement. “Between us we’ll bring Luthor to justice.  He has terrorized this city his last time.  Well I had better get over to that crime scene.  Keep in touch.”

Superman floated up into the air as the inspector got back into his car and drove away.  Then he watched as the two officers who had been setting up the surveillance equipment on the phones leave the house and slowly drive away.  Floating back down he landed on the patio in the back of the house and tapped on the glass door.  Richard appeared with Lois not far behind him peaking around his shoulder.  Richard opened the glass door. 

“I just left Jason at the farm a few minutes ago.  He asked me to give you these.”  Superman had retrieved a small box loaded down with decorated and plain gingerbread cookies that he had hidden nearby just a few minutes earlier before taking the position hovering above the house.”

Richard accepted the box opening it up to look inside at the assortment of gingerbread cookies as he motioned for Superman to come inside.

Stepping inside Superman added, “Oh, a word to the wise, only eat the plain ones.”

“Huh?”  Richard looked confused then looked past Superman to be sure they were not being observed by neighbors or anyone on the water before closing the door. 

Superman answered half amused. “Jason was horrified when I bit the head off of um…Cookie Superman.”  Then he answered the unasked question, “it’s alright, no one saw me land.” 

Lois smirked taking the box from Richard.   “Awwww, they’re cute.  Hey are these for Jimmy and Perry?”       

Superman nodded.  “I thought you should be the ones to take them into the office.” 

Lois grabbed her cell phone and smiling started to call Jason.  Both Richard and Superman voiced together “NO!” 

The two men exchanged glances.  Superman spoke up first as he once again retrieved the phone Bruce had given him handing it to Lois.  “Use this one. It’s untraceable, I just tested it.”

Lois smiled figuring it out as she accepted the small cell phone.  “You tested it?  So… that’s what that call was about?”  She rolled her eyes shaking her head slightly looking over at Richard who had a similar expression on his face. 

“Um…I don’t have much time I need to get back in the air.  Things are starting to break.”   

Lois stepped towards him her hand out, “Wait.  Aren’t you going to clue us in…and um what about your phone don’t you need it back?”

“You can keep the phone.  A friend just gave it to me but I don’t need it.  There’s nothing wrong with the one I already had.  As far as clueing you in, the van with the kidnapper’s body inside has been found.  I think the evidence is going to lead me right to Luthor but I need to get back on the job for that to happen, now!”  He headed for the door. “oh by the way, you should know, there is a GPS device on the phone and… um…Batman may be tracking it.”

“What!”  Richard and Lois both exclaimed but Superman was already gone.  They stared down at the phone then looked at each other not sure what to think of that revelation.

Richard said somewhat incredulous, “Superman is friends with Batman…and Batman was tracking him?  Is that what he just implied?”  He wasn’t sure which was more unbelievable. 

Lois shrugged still somewhat skeptical.  Then remembered the mysterious contact…could it be?  She smiled.  Then opened the phone and called the farm dying to talk to Jason even if she had to use a phone being tracked by Batman.   Hmmmm she thought, maybe I can get an interview with him.    

Xox

Alfred appeared as the elevator doors opened, silver tray in hand.  Bruce looked up just as the tray was sat down near where he was working.  “Alfred, how do you always know exactly when I’m starting to get hungry?”

“Master Wayne, it is what I live for.  Will there be anything else sir?”

Looking at the tray of gourmet sandwiches and fruit arranged just so and the pot of tea he shook his head.  “This looks just fine.  Thank you as always.  I don’t know how I could ever get along without you.”

“Nor do I sir.”  Alfred smiled bowing ever so lightly then turned to go.

Bruce grabbed one of the small sandwiches and went back to work.  “Hmmmm lets see where Blueboy is right now.”   Just then his private line rang.  He picked up the call, “Hello.” 

“It’s me, on my own phone.”

“Why are you using that phone?  I told you the one I gave you was better, state of the art.”

“Did you really think I didn’t know about the added bonus to you?  I told you not to bug me.  When I want you to know where I am or what I may be doing I will inform you directly.  I just wanted to let you know I gave the phone to Lois and Richard so they could safely contact Jason.  I also told them about the GPS device.  So you should find something better to occupy your time.”

“Great.  You do know I was just trying to help you.  I still think you’re in over your head with Luthor.”

“Maybe they allow your heavy hand in Gotham but we do things differently here in Metropolis and I’m not sure how the authorities would react to your ways of doing things.  I suggest you remember that.  I do appreciate your concern but if I need your help I’ll let you know.”

“Zing, if you put it that way I’ll back off.  I just hope you don’t die regretting brushing me off.”  Both men were quiet for a second then Bruce said.  “Keep in touch.”   With that he closed his phone and then reduced the window that was displaying the GPS position of the phone he had given his friend.   

Finishing the sandwich still in his hand he opened his phone again and hit a speed dial number.  “Lucius, what’s the status? … We need to get that facility up and running ASAP.  I have a bad feeling it’s going to be needed very soon.  We can’t let what happened last time happen again.  We might just lose him for good.”    

Closing his phone Bruce jumped up and quickly suited up.  “I guess I’ll have to do this the old fashioned way.”      

Xoxo

Superman was once again hovering in the air searching upscale areas that met the criteria looking specifically for overgrown yards.  Unfortunately there were a lot of possibilities with all the foreclosed homes in the area. 

Xoxo

Luthor paced the floor growing more and more impatient as time when on.  The boy was finally starting to show signs of waking up from the mix if chloroform and drugs he had been given.  As far as he was concerned it couldn’t be too soon.  Finally having enough he walked over to the boy laid out on the couch, one of the few pieces of furniture in the otherwise empty house.  Shaking the boy to full wakefulness he almost hissed at the child holding the gun to his face, “Scream for help, now!” 

“Mommy” the little boy whimpered.

“NO! Mommy can’t help you now!”  Luthor spat at the child trying to wiggle away from his grasp.

“Daddy…, Daddy help!”  He cried out and Luthor tightened his grip.

The little boy began crying uncontrollably which made Luther ever more enraged.  He snarled at him, “Daddy can’t help you either.  Only Superman can help you now!”  His eyes narrowed in hatred for the alien as he spoke the name.

“Superman…Superman help me!”  The little boy screamed still trying desperately to escape the menacing madman. 

Luthor let go and took a few steps towards the door, his gun ready, his breathing hard and his heart racing in anticipation. 

Xox

Superman jerked his head hearing the scream.  He shot to the location but hesitated when he saw Luthor standing watch with the loaded gun.  He couldn’t help the boy if Luthor took him out with Kryptonite bullets.   Grabbing his cell phone he called inspector Henderson while he continued to observe Luthor. 

The phone was answered right away, “Inspector Henderson.”

“Sir, this is Superman.  I’ve found him.  He’s hold up in a vacant home at 2422 Jasmine Lane.  The boy appears to be unharmed but terrified.”

“Hold your position.  I can have squad cars there in minutes.”   He turned from the phone shouting the information to one of the other officers.  “Help is on the way. You stay in the air and on the line with me.”  The inspector raced to his own car as he spoke motioning for another officer to drive so he could try and keep Superman at bay and on the line supplying updated information. 

Superman shook his head in frustration knowing the inspector was right but at the same time not wanting to wait a second longer with the child in such danger.  Speaking into his phone he shared what he was seeing.  “There are three other men in the room.  They seem to be keeping their distance from Luthor, most likely ready to flee at the first opportunity.” 

Suddenly Superman heard Luthor shouting.  “I know you’re up there Superman!  Show yourself or the kid dies.  You have to the count of ten.  One…two…three…”  Luthor turned halfway pointing the gun directly at the hysterical child.

The Inspector heard Superman exclaim, “No!”  Then the line went dead as the call was ended.   

“Faster, we need to be there NOW!  There’s no time!”  The inspector said to the officer driving.  He braced himself as the car speeded up even faster the siren screaming as they raced down the street. 

Superman shot down towards the door wanting to make sure the officers would have easy entry.  Luthor shot wildly towards the doorway as it shattered inward.  The shots rang out in fast succession.  BANG! BANG! BANG.  Realizing he was missing his intended target he turned back towards the child and pulled the trigger once again.  BANG!  He smiled hearing the bullet finally hit its target.  He thrilled hearing the moan and danced over closer as the alien became visible and obviously in great pain.

Superman moaned but continued to slump down in a protective cover over the hysterical child.  Knowing that help was coming was his only hope now.  He just had to hold out for a few minutes and the child would be safe.  He heard Luthor approach and cringed. 

Luthor stood just a couple feet away laughing.  “This is what I have been living for.  Today you die by my hand.  This time there will be no reprieve, just a slow, painful death.”  He pulled the trigger again.  BANG!   

The first bullet had hit him in the side just below the ribcage, this one hit him in the mid-back perhaps puncturing a lung.  His breathing became even more difficult but he remained defiant.  He managed to turn his head and look Luthor in the eyes as he rasped out.  “You may kill me but you’ll never win in the end.” 

“Oh, but I have already won.”  Luthor almost sang.  Then his expression changed as he heard sirens and then the front gate being demolished as several squad cars screeched into the driveway.  No longer having the luxury of watching a slow death and wanting to at least make sure to kill the alien he once again pointed the gun.  Even if he was caught he could live with the knowledge that he had indeed won the battle with the hated alien.  That was all that matter to him.  He squeezed the trigger, this time aiming pointblank for a lethal shot to the heart.  BANG!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic