Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Superman Returns timing (Read 5370 times)
Marcus Rowland
Cub Reporter

Superman Returns timing
Feb 8th, 2011 at 9:54pm

I've been trying to figure out what time of day the shuttle launch takes place in Superman Returns, but I can't find the DVD. Do they ever mention the launch time (and preferably time zone)? It isn't apparent anywhere in the best clip I can find on line, which covers the nine minutes or so between the scene with Clark and Jimmy in the bar and the final moment after landing with Clark taking off from the stadium.

There's nothing major riding on it, just a few lines in one of the stories I'm working on, but if I can work out the approximate time it happened it will tell me something useful.

Marcus L. Rowland&&Forgotten Futures: The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: Superman Returns timing
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 4:26pm

Well, The launch occured shortly before Clark's arrival the the Planet which looked to be mid-morning, maybe a bit earlier given that the newsroom was in full swing but the entrance lobby didn't seem to have enough traffic for the beginning of the business day for everyone else - legal, ad sales, etc.
So I'd set the launch as nine-ish Eastern time, most likely from Florida as I can't imagine launching a shuttle from a major city. That then begs the question, what did Lois do that Perry sent her out of state to cover a no-brainer story?

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Marcus Rowland
Cub Reporter

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 6:28pm

I don't know what time the plane takes off, but the disaster is actually a bit later in the day - Jimmy and Clark go out to get a drink (I'd guess at lunch time or early afternoon) and they hear then that the shuttle launch from the plane is in trouble.

There's nothing major depending on this, I'm just writing a scene in which a sports fan discusses the effect the incident had on the baseball game and that year's baseball season. If it was before the half-way point the game would be replayed, if it was afterwards the game ends at the time of the interruption, with the final score whatever it was when play was abandoned.

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm

The novelization puts Clark and Jimmy leaving for lunch at a little before noon - Give some some time to head to the bar and for Jimmy to get pretty sloshed, then the incident probably happened mid-to late afternoon.

So that gives us a baseball game being played in on a weekday in the afternoon. According to the novelization (not exactly the best source) it was Fins vs Ravens, Fins ahead 6 to 5 on the first game of a double-header that was expected to last well into the evening. So, at a guess, I'd go with the first game having not too many innings and the second one definately having to be rescheduled.

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Marcus Rowland
Cub Reporter

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 11:52pm

I think I'll ignore the novelisation and go with the teams I'd planned to use - Gotham versus the Dodgers, since I need an LA connection for this story. I can't see Clark agreeing to a really long liquid lunch on his first day back, and it felt like they were only there a few minutes when the power went out, so let's say that they got a late lunch and the power went out about 2 PM. I'll take it from there.

IP Logged

Marcus Rowland
Cub Reporter

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 9:44pm

I just picked up the script pretty cheaply on Amazon - can't see anything there that helps work out the timing; it does however confirm that the film was originally going to show Jimmy as a heavy drinker.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic