Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic FDK - Family Reunion 47 (Read 4679 times)
Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

FDK - Family Reunion 47
Apr 3rd, 2009 at 9:25am

Here's the next Weekend Update, just a little bit early.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: FDK - Family Reunion 47
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 12:53am

That's one of the things I like about this fic, a realism about EMP's that the movie didn't have. Electronics hit by an EMP do not miraculously start working afterwards.

For the other readers:
When active and unshielded electronics are hit by an electromagnetic pulse, they're FRIED; the power supply shorts out and the wiring (usually copper or iron/steel) is rendered incapable of conducting electricity (even if a new battery is installed) due to a massive jumbling of the electromagnetic "poles" of the atoms that make up the molecules. While the wires seem intact on the mundane (macro) level of reality, on the atomic/subatomic microscale they have been shattered into their component atoms (which then realign into molecular bonds, but incorrectly) instead of remaining in their old molecular chains.

If you've seen the movie Broken Arrow with John Travolta and Christian Slater, the jeeps they were driving (when they detonated the nuke in the copper mine) were military issue, the wiring and engine parts are made from alloys 'doped' with minerals to prevent this realignment as long as there is no electricity flowing through the wiring at the time.
(Which is why Travolta shut off the jeep right before the EMP hit them.) They still had to replace the batteries afterwards, though, but they had planned for it, and spares were in lead-lined cases in the jeep.

IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 1:18am

Brin_Londo5 wrote on Apr 4th, 2009 at 12:53am:
That's one of the things I like about this fic, a realism about EMP's that the movie didn't have. Electronics hit by an EMP do not miraculously start working afterwards.
I loved the film, but there were a few things there that were badly in need of a reality check, such as the EMP.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 1:22am

One CAN argue that what was depicted in the movie wasn't an EMP (which is a massive energy burst) but a massive energy drain. A drain wouldn't toast the electronics, but would crash the power grid and drain any batteries that are in use. (Of course, then you have to wonder why people are still standing since they use electro-chemical energy too.) And we've all forgotten those people on pacemakers.  Shocked

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

framework_4
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:22am

Nicely done part.

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 6:33am

Miss Lois wrote on Apr 4th, 2009 at 1:22am:
One CAN argue that what was depicted in the movie wasn't an EMP (which is a massive energy burst) but a massive energy drain. A drain wouldn't toast the electronics, but would crash the power grid and drain any batteries that are in use.

In either scenario, though, cell-phones and Jimmy's digital camera should not have started back up afterwards. The batteries would either have been blown or drained dry.

Quote:
And we've all forgotten those people on pacemakers.  Shocked

Ewww...

IP Logged

Vgerland
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:41pm

I think we just need to suspend reality and allow poetic license in movies sometimes.  I mean a man flies and can eat bullets for lunch if he so chooses. 

That aside,  Yet another great chapter.  After reading all the other comments I forgot what I was going to say about it.  Give me a minute   Undecided.............................................................................
...............................................Oh yeah!

First of all, I am glad that Richard hopes he won't lose Jason.  That says a lot of his character.  He knows where he stands now with Lois and the Jason is also really not his yet he still loves them both. 

The strong presence of Martha and in this part particularly Ben is a big help.  Boy, Supes seems to have planned for just about everything with the help of the crystal and AI.  Good going, it shows just how advanced the Kryptonians were and he still is.

I was glad Lois was able to see what was happening with Superman even when she could not be there.

The only thing is, some people must still see Superman as sort of a philanderer with 2 illegitimate kids.   Embarrassed   

I do hope you clear that up soon, that Kara is in reality his cousin that he had to leave Earth to save.   

Again great part

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic