Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Converting your MSWord document to forum format (Read 7391 times)
Head Librarian
Administrator

I Love Supes!

Converting your MSWord document to forum format
Aug 12th, 2008 at 6:55pm

Most forums use a formatting code called UBB (Universal Bulletin Board) This code is far less likely to allow user abuse than HTML.

However converting documents is not as simple process as we would like.

I have spent the day looking for a workable solution.

I use MSWord, so this is what I came up with:

Make sure the formating of your document is as simple and clean as possible.

Save your document as as a Web Page (Filtered) - this removes Microsoft specific tags, making the job a little easier.

In MSWord, Go to View - if View does not have a listing for View HTML or Source, go to File -> Web Page Preview

This will open your browser. Most web browsers have a View-> Page Source  option. View the source code and copy it onto your ClipBoard.

Go to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). This will convert the HTML to UBB code.

Many of the line break issues have been handled and extra space issues have been dealt with but... MSWord doesn't produce clean HTML  even in filtered mode. The line breaks may or may not appear as you want them. These can be edited either in the HTML2UBB text box or on the forum Message Box.

As I indicated, I will be working on this and will (hopefully) soon have an even better HTML to UBB converter up and running.

I will cheerfully accept suggestions and/or advice on this. Also, if you are running a Mac, instructions on converting documents to HTML will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:58am by Head Librarian »  

The Administrator. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Re: Converting your MSWord document to forum format
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:13pm

My primary PC these days is a Windows Vista Laptop, but I've got a Mac Mini around, too, with Office X for Mac installed.  It's pretty much the same.

File --> Save as Web Page
View --> HTML Source
Copy and Paste

There's no filtered output, and there is a little extra crap that you'll need to clean up at the very top, and the very bottom, and for some reason center formatting doesn't center.  (My section separators are showing up with the HTML paragraph tag, rather than center - perhaps that's confusing it).

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:35pm

If you use open office, the HTML conversion is clean, except still no joy on centered text.  For my test, I open my MS Word doc in Open Office Writer, then:

File --> Save As / Choose HTML Document.
File --> Preview in Web Browser

Use the browser tools to view HTML source, and cut and paste.

The conversion tool doesn't seem to understand the <p align=center>...</p> tags (and both Word and OOWriter do this), and it's equally confused by <center>...</center> tags.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:13pm

I'll look into the <center></center> issue.

Okay - got that part squared away. The other alignment formatting will take a little more time. <p text-align=...> </p>

Got <p align=...> squared away. The rest needs more than my script can handle at the moment - but I am working on it.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:59pm by Miss Lois »  

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 1:16pm

You've been busy.  This takes away most of the pain of conversion to post here.  I suspect that the pain might be gone completely if their using OO Writer, but I'll need to verify that.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:35pm

...Something tells me I think I'd just be best sticking to typing everything directly into the message window.  This process makes my brain hurt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic