Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How Old Is Clark? (Read 10910 times)
Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

How Old Is Clark?
Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:05pm

How old is Clark supposed to be in StM?
The Mankiewicz  script indicates the little girl on the train (Lois) is 6. Clark is 17 or so.

We know Clark went to the fortress at 18 and left 12 years later. Obviously Lois wasn't 19 when Clark was hired. So how old do you think she was and by extension, how old was heCool

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Re: How Old Is Clark?
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:27pm

I just watched S:TM 2 nights ago, and young Lois does not look 6.  I'd put her at a minimum of 8, ranging up to 10.  Clark being 17 seems pretty sensible.  But that would still put a gap of 7-9 years between them.  After his time at the Fortress Clark would be 29, and I think it's pretty ludicrous that he'd be hired without a college degree (unless you feel this movie really does take place in the 70s and somehow back then you could pull that off).  Applying for college that late would raise eyebrows, but there's no law saying you can't.  If you believe he submitted to another 4 years of traditional schooling, then he'd be 33 if he was immediately hired after graduating, and Lois would be 24-26...still quite young for her position.

So what's my stance?  I just choose to ignore this.   Tongue  Makes more sense that they both be at least in their late 20s when they meet.  It's been said that Superman is perpetually 29, after all...

IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 7:11pm

I'm all for keeping it real, and keeping in canon when you can realistically do so.  If the reality test fails, I'd throw it out.  Now, for the canon ages of Lois and Clark...

It seems to me, that there is a little room for interpretation on the twelve years of Kryptonian training.  Is that time spent exclusive of time on Earth, or could he be multi-tasking?  Could he have gone to college and held down jobs with small papers while he continued his Kryptonian education?  I assume that he multi-tasked, and I've pretty much stuck with the assumption that Clark was 30 in S:TM.  Depending on how strictly you interpret the movie scripts, he'd be somewhere between 35 and 38 in Superman returns.

And for Lois.  She clearly an accomplished reporter, and top of her field in  S:TM.  Clearly not a fresh faced kid right out of college.  I'd place her in the range 26-28.  Not that much younger than Clark.

This brings up another point.  A 6-year-old Lois on the train to the 17-year-old Clark, making her 19 to his 30 is just nuts.  Why keep it?

I'd be especially quick to throw something out that was just thrown in for a cameo.  Two out of three of the cameos I can think of from the movies just don't work:
  • Noel Neill's Ella Lane in S:TM (Doesn't work - makes Lois too young compared to Clark)
  • Noel Neill's Gertrude Vanderworth in SR (Works)
  • Jack Larson's Bo the Bartender in SR (Doesn't work.  Makes Jimmy an alcoholic, and would Clark really cut work his first day back?)
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:49pm by Mr. Beeto »  
WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Kara-El
Cub Reporter

Superman is my cousin...

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 8:24pm

SmileyHey there Supes fans
38, eh?
Could it be that he did not age in space on his trip to Krypton? It would be as if he were gone for only the time he was awake (in stasis on the trip there and back, not aging.) That would make him younger and closer in age to Lois.
Possible?

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Ah, but the age on his driver's license is the telling point here - even not aging in space, his legal/chronological age is what's in question.

Personally, I've gone with the multi-tasking during the Kryptonian training as well - college and travel and establishing himself as a writer.

And Lois must be fairly close in age, chronologically, to Clark - although biologically after SR, he's now younger than she is by several years (assuming he was in stasis and didn't age).

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:53pm

In my latest fic, I'm assuming the driver license age to be 39 to Lois' 37, though he'd be about 33 biologically, thanks to stasis.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:04am

I'd say closer to 35, since I've always read in DC that he's in his early-to-mid 30's.

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 3:10pm

Brin_Londo5 wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:04am:
I'd say closer to 35, since I've always read in DC that he's in his early-to-mid 30's.

Ah, but it's what's on his driver's license that counts - he may look 33-35 but what's on his job apps and driver's license?

I'm personally pretty much going with Beeto's analysis for the Post SR stuff. Clark left Earth at 33, returned at 39 or so.

But in STM, Clark is supposedly much older than Lois. (At the time of SIII, that's Clark's 15 year High school reunion he's going to, which makes him 32-33 at that time.)

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:24pm

Miss Lois wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 3:10pm:
But in STM, Clark is supposedly much older than Lois. (At the time of SIII, that's Clark's 15 year High school reunion he's going to, which makes him 32-33 at that time.)

Hmm, I'd forgotten about that. With the blurring between the movies, the Silver Age comics, the Byrne Man-of-Steel stuff, and the Birthright stuff integrated into the modern comics, I sometimes forget we're talking strictly about the Movieverse on these forums.
Silly, really, what with the great big neon sign reading "The Movieverse Fanfiction Forums" up above.
Or, as one of my uncles would have put it:
"MA, GET TH' SNAKEBITE KIT AGAIN!"

IP Logged

mak5258
Cub Reporter

laugh, seriously.

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:40pm

Was it ever confirmed anywhere that the Lois on the train was Lois Lane? (If so, what the hell was a young Lois doing on a train cutting across Kansas anyway?!)  I don't know; I haven't seen the movies in awhile-- BUT, I always just thought that it was a kind of ridiculous foreshadowing that involved me looking way too far into things to even get it: this little girl who happens to be named Lois is the first person outside his family to see Clark displaying otherworldly powers, then Lois Lane is the first one to meet Superman and all that.

That's just what I came up with, though.  And if that wasn't Lois, that would give us greater control over just how old she is when we put her in our stories  Grin

gravity is just an excuse for the people who never learned how to fly
IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:15pm

The film script identifies the little girl as Lois Lane, but the dialogue never made it into the final version of the film and the actors were uncreditied.

So, this could go either way.

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 2:00am

mak5258 wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:40pm:
Was it ever confirmed anywhere that the Lois on the train was Lois Lane? (If so, what the hell was a young Lois doing on a train cutting across Kansas anyway?!)

Well, in the comics, Lois is an Army brat, her dad is General Sam Lane, and if that holds true in the movieverse, they were probably en route to his next posting (Fort Whereintheheckarewenow?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic