Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic New Random Character Generator (Read 11514 times)
Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

New Random Character Generator
Mar 12th, 2009 at 8:36pm

Tired of thinking up names (and realizing every snitch you've created for Lois has the name of Kenton)?

I've put together a random generator at    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 

Currently it only generates adults between 18 & 65, but it gives name, gender, height, weight and probable ethnicity when applicable.

Sometime in the next couple weeks I'll add hair and eye color as well (as soon as I find good probability tables for those) and possibly distinguishing features such as tattoos.

Please let me know if there's anything else that might be good to know about a random person Lois & Clark are likely to meet on the street.

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Bellarata
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: New Random Character Generator
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 4:45am

OMG!!

How awesome is this??? I've had such fun playing with it!!

Thank you!

IP Logged

Vgerland
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 1:21am

Gulp I think there may be a problem  I got this for a 5 year old female.   Cheesy

Brown, Johanna
(Female)
5' 6"
118 lbs

I guess you're right it only generates adults right now.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 2:00am

Okay, looks like a generator to create children may be needed as well - I'll look into it.

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Vgerland
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:42am

Don't worry about it.  I just didn't notice that you had said adults only.  I was just trying it out and thought Jason needed more friends.  ha ha.  He got a giant.   Grin

IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 9:46pm

This could prove to be very useful.  I played around with it a little, and couldn't help but notice that the females were trending to the short side, with height as low as 4'8".  I suppose there are little people in this world too, and it will suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for sharing.

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:48pm

The heights are based on US averages. (The actual formula I used was base height of 55 inches for women plus a random number between 0 and 18.

For men it's a base height of 60 inches plus the random between 0 and 18.

The actual average height of American women is about 5' 4".

IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 11:13pm

Miss Lois wrote on Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:48pm:
The heights are based on US averages. (The actual formula I used was base height of 55 inches for women plus a random number between 0 and 18...  The actual average height of American women is about 5' 4".
So it's an even distribution between 4'7" and 6'1".  As I said, that should be more than adequate for most author's needs, and I've already made use of it.

Of course, my analytical mind is wondering how to tackle the challenge of programming a randomly generated "normal" distribution, like what we see in the population (with the peak of the bell curve centered at 5'4").  If I come up with a programming epiphany, I'll let you know...

Thanks again for sharing it.  Smiley

WWW YIM  
IP Logged

Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:19pm

Heights and weights are now closer to proper distribution based on the U.S. population.

Just an interesting little niggle - When Lois and Richard are discussing Clark's height and weight, she says Clark is 6'3", 6'4".
Richard says 'about two hundred pounds...'

That's about twenty to thirty pounds over what Richard's guess should have been if he hadn't been wondering about Clark being Superman.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic