Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 4/? (Read 2543 times)
Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 4/?
Dec 21st, 2008 at 5:08pm

Part Four
(4a)

Kryptonian sunstone domicile and scientific research and medical facility construction, complete.

Construction nanites returning to building self-repair receptacles for recharge, fusion reactors powering down.
Geomagnetic energy induction crystals, online.
Sunstone fusion furnace power supply, online.
Holographic data crystals and interactive reader receptacles, reconstructed from starship records and online.
Scanning interior for identifiable life-signs.
One humanoid male present, scans identified as Kryptonian male, genetic scans consistent with the House of El.
Most probable identification: Kal-El, Kryptonian minor, known offspring of last known head of the House of El, Jor-El, and Lara Lor-Van, Formerly of the House of Van, brought into the House of El through marriage.
Kryptonian female, Kara Zor-El, Kryptonian minor of the House of El, not detected. Assume deceased.

Interactive domicile control system, extended and waiting.
Subsonic and psionic homing call, activated.
Primary data crystal, identified and retrieved.
Primary data crystal, inserted into reader.
Warning: crystal inserted incorrectly and backwards, adjusting reader scans to compensate.

Loading, please wait.
Loading, please wait.
Loading complete.
Jor-El Artificial Intelligence Simulation, version 3.0, active.
Lara Lor-Van of the House of El Artificial Intelligence Simulation, version 3.0, active.
Total loading and activation time: 42 picoseconds.
Activating secondary “worst case scenario” protocols in IA matrix.

Displaying holographic representation of the late Jor-El of Krypton through amphitheater display crystal formation.
Audio and psionic resonators online.

“Khutiv aonah (My son)… rraop zha pai khup (you do not remember me)…” I say, slowly, so that the psionic resonators can coax Kal-El’s long buried memories of the Kryptonian language to his frontal lobes, so that he may understand my words; “I am Jor-El. I am your father.” At this, I used the fortress systems to transmit a subtle psionic pulse to his dormant pineal gland, simulating the long-forgotten sense of the parent-offspring mental bond, so that he may sense the truth of my words, even if his memories are unclear.

“By now, you will have reached your eighteenth year, at least, as the years are measured on Earth. By that reckoning, I will have been dead for many thousands of your Earth years.” By Kryptonian years, as well, but the Kryptonian year no longer matters, as Krypton is most likely either gaseous particles in the nebula surrounding the dwarf-star remains of Rao, or an asteroid field orbiting the same. But my phrasing will make more sense, later, when it becomes apparent that because of the larger orbit around Rao, Krypton’s year took far longer than Earth’s mere 365 days. By Kryptonian measurement, he is still an adolescent child, not eligible to achieve adulthood status until his fortieth birthday, so I must take care to phrase things in a manner that will not stimulate a natural rebellious reaction to a strange authority figure.

“The knowledge that I have, in matters physical and historic, I gave to you fully on your voyage here to your new home.” Yes, biometric scans indicate a dawning awareness in Kal-El’s neural cortex. I pause here, so as to give him time to assimilate the deluge of long buried information to conscious memory. “These are important matters, to be sure, but still matters of mere fact. There are questions to be asked, and it is time for you to do so.” Here, I pause, allowing the holographic representation of my consciousness, simulated, as it is, to reflect my careful choosing of my next words. I must let him know that he shall be perceived as an equal in this next step of his education, which shall be more philosophical and character building, as well as training the latent physical and psionic powers he has only partially developed.

“Here, in this... this fortress of solitude, we shall try to find the answers together. So, my son, speak.”

“Who am I?”

Ah, both a query as to his biological origins, and a greater question, indeed, one of self-identity and one’s place in the universe. I shall address the easier to answer one, his personal history, long forgotten by him, and together we shall shape the second. “Your name is Kal-El, you are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you have been raised as a human being of Earth, you are not one of them.” **At least, by Terran reckoning.** “You have great powers, Kal-El, only some of which you have as of yet discovered.”

For hours we discussed his personal history, him, his mother Lara, (who introduced herself before letting me continue my discourse with Kal-El,) and myself, my place among the scientists and noblemen among the great council, which decided matters of import among the people of Krypton. What his rank and eventual status would have been, if only our star had not self-destructed. The society that Krypton had once been able to boast of. The questions any child would have, after finding out that they were adopted and then being reunited with their birth-parents. (I did not, however, inform Kal-El of our intended life-pairing of him with Kara, I am unsure of how his social mores would respond to that.)

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 4/?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 5:09pm

(4b)

The next day, activating in full the holographic, auditory, and psionic emitters within the fortress’ main chamber, we began the next phase of his training, both re-immersion in Kryptonian philosophy and training in his abilities.
“Come with me now, my son, as we break the bonds of your earthly confinement, mentally traveling through time and space…”

“The total accumulation of all knowledge spanning the twenty-eight known galaxies is imbedded in the crystals which I have sent along with you. Study them well, my son.”

“In this sixth year of your training, it is important to note: your powers will far exceed those of mortal men, and it is forbidden for you to interfere in human history. (Rewriting history through time-travel may have disastrous consequences, and you only have enough energy in your reserves to do so once before depleting the energy that such a feat would require, as well as burning out the neural pathways that would allow you to access that much power to begin with.) Rather, let your leadership stir others to achieve the heights that will let them do for themselves.”

“In this next year, we will examine the human heart, not just the physical cardiac muscle, but the emotional core that human society associates it with. It is more fragile than your own, both the organ and the human ego, and care must be taken not to harm either in their handling.”

“As we travel through the flaming turmoil which is the edge of your own galaxy, we enter the realm of the once-red Krypton sun, Rao. This would have been the source of your strength and nourishment, and was the cause of our eventual destruction. Here, you see the planet Krypton, my son, your home, as it once was…”

“This year, we shall examine the various concepts of immortality, both physical and spiritual, and their basis in actual fact. The average Kryptonian life-span before it’s destruction was roughly two hundred of our orbital years, and a Kryptonian year was the rough equivalent of eleven of earth’s years, so to Earth’s population, you may seem immortal yourself. Only one life-form on Krypton was estimated to be demonstratively immortal, the Rondor, which does not die of old age. Two animal life-forms exist in the oceans of Earth which show this adaptation, the megalodon shark and the giant deep sea squid, neither of which die of old age. Several sentient species do exist in the known galaxies which display this feature, the immunity to death by old age, which include the Malthusians, of which the Guardians of Oa are one caste. Czarnians are another species that do so, dying only when they willingly decide to. As for spiritual immortality, many sentient species do seem to show a lasting self-sustaining psionic energy-form which remains after the death of the physical body, which may be one of several basis for non-physical immortality.”

“By the time we return to the edge of your galaxy twelve of Earth’s years will have passed, and over the last twelve years we have reasoned out logical judgments on various ethical and practical dilemmas which you may encounter. Remember, they can be a great people, Kal-El, if they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have chosen Earth for you. It is now time to rejoin your new world, and to serve its collective humanity. Live as one of them, Kal-El, and learn where your strength and your powers are needed, but always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage.”

Through the sensory arrays of the Fortress, I beheld with pride as Kal-El, garbed in a blue and red hued Kryptonian smart-suit, complete with honor-cape, bent gravity around him as he defied its hold and flew out, to rejoin the humans once more. If I were truly Jor-El, and flesh and blood once more, I would indulge Lara in a waltz. For now, I must content myself with tapping into the communication satellites which mankind has ringed this world with, in order to watch Kal-El as he embarks upon his way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic