Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 3/? (Read 2490 times)
Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 3/?
Dec 21st, 2008 at 4:55pm

Part Three.

Loading, please wait.
Loading, please wait.
Loading complete.
Jor-El Artificial Intelligence Simulation, version 2.0, active.
Lara Lor-Van of the House of El Artificial Intelligence Simulation, version 2.0, active.
Total loading and activation time: 42 picoseconds.
Status of Designate: Kal-El Biological Wetware Unit, version 1.0, fully functional.

Lara 2.0 mentally smacked Jor-El 2.0 upside the encoding cortex with a negatively charged data-stream. “Kal-El 1.0 is NOT a ‘wetware unit’, Jor-El 2.0. Wait, 2.0? 1.0? How do I stop referring to ourselves as numbered iterations?”

“Apologies, Lara, please, wait one nanosecond for your full personality programming to come online. Try it now. Better?”

“Much so, thank you. Jor-El, did Kara make it out?”

“Let me replay the data-feed from the navigational sensor suite…”

Both simulated entities watched in horror as the explosion of Rao’s outer layers shattered Krypton into billions of radioactive shards, glowing white hot in the depths of space before the chill of absolute zero cooled them first to a hot red, then to icy cold debris that glowed a lethal green.

“I cannot tell. There is too much debris, and the radiation of the planetary shards combined with the static caused by the stellar EMP is preventing me from detecting the signal from Kara’s own ship, if it managed to launch in time. For now, my dear Lara, Kara’s fate is as unknown as that of our original selves.”

“And what of Kal-El? Does the radiation pose a danger?”

“His vital signs did indeed fluctuate immediately after the explosion, but he appears to have recovered once we accelerated past the range of the radiation. I am detecting no genetic or cellular damage.”

Centuries passed, with Kal-El 1.0 in stasis, his vital functions slowed down for the millenia-long journey.

Lara 2.0 and myself took turns in deactivation mode, resetting and rebooting occasionally to prevent ourselves from going insane from the long voyage and the lack of any company save ourselves.

As our original selves had agreed beforehand, we divided our duties in Kal-El’s subliminal education along the following lines. I fed Kal-El information concerning factual data and philosophy, while Lara attended to his still-infantile emotional needs, letting him know he was loved, and simulating her physical touch to his unconscious senses by manipulating the pressure and temperature of the oxygenated nutrient bath he floated in during the journey. The fluid not only nourished Kal-El’s digestive tract during the times the ship was too far away from any stars to feed his photosynthetic hyperplasts, it had also served a dual purpose in cushioning Kal-El from the shockwave blast of Krypton’s destruction by acting like a protective hydraulic fluid. Special nanites within the fluid cleaned waste matter from it instantly, and replenished it with hydrocarbons taken from nebulae and gas clouds the ship passed through, and synthesized the necessary remaining elements and compounds by breaking down and rebuilding matter using a combination of fission and fusion reactions, combined with manipulations of the matter’s quarks on the quantum level, to supply 99.99% of Kal-El’s nutritional needs.

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: Crystal Thoughts Of An Artificial Intelligence 3/?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 4:57pm

3B

The sometimes bizarre effects of the differing laws of physics of the galaxies we traveled through meant that although radio waves traveled slower than light speed, and we ourselves traveled far faster than the speed of light, we were sometimes able to receive radio transmissions from Earth that had been accelerated by various rare but naturally occurring quantum fluctuations to something similar to the zeta-beam transmissions of cultures like Rann or Thanagar, hurling radio signals from the future to their own past, our present.

Which, oddly enough, is how one of my lectures on philosophy concerned a poem entitled “Trees” by an Alfredjoyce-Kilmer, presumably of the House of Kilmer. At least, I believe that is the poet’s name, as the poet’s last name seems to correspond with the name of his Lineage/House, much as on Krypton. But what a strange and overly long name as Alfredjoyce-Kilmer. (Lara, on the other hand, is convinced that I am incorrect as to the pronunciation of the poet, as she claims to have distinctly heard, well, perceived a gap or glottal stop of some kind between the Alfred and Joyce parts of his personal name.)

(Hmm. On a related note, the Dimensional Interface between our reality and the Phantom Zone seems to bear a strong resemblance to the covers of the musical albums Smell the Glove, by Spinal Tap, and the self titled album of Metallica.

Strange, that this culture records such primitive tribal rhythms on what is a somewhat sophisticated form of data recording.

Note to self: try to subtly influence Kal-El towards appreciation of his new planet’s eventual “Classical” stage of music.)

I also lectured his sleeping form on the difference in the way physical laws worked differently in different galaxies, something which I hope shall not get him into trouble with the teachings of his eventual Earth teachers, who would invariably teach him otherwise, not having the experience of observing those variances, being relegated to only one planet, in one star-system, in only one galaxy.

Tomorrow, I shall accesses and play Lecture #378-A, the Human Heart, a lecture both about their cardiac muscle as well as on the human emotional response to situations and cognitive stimuli.
It is interesting to note the Human insistence in all their major religions that somehow human beings are created separately from their animal cousins, and are not “animals” somehow because of that. As if they somehow lack the billions of years of hard-wired biological instincts present in all other life-forms. This psychological denial of a quantifiable fact disturbs me, as this implies that mankind may not truly understand themselves and the deep-rooted motivations for their own actions.
(Kal-El may be more urgently needed by the human race of Earth than I first surmised, for if they cannot bring themselves to cease distancing themselves from a important facet of their intrinsic beings, then they will need a beacon of light far more than otherwise, for once they develop technologies capable of annihilating themselves, they may find themselves becoming extinct over what would be an otherwise avoidable dispute over ideologies and/or resources, a dispute triggered by subconscious tribal directives to drive the ‘other’ group/tribe/nation away from a resource they perceive as ‘theirs’.)

This observation disturbs me, as it indicates a paradox in Kal-El’s destiny. On one hand, one of the prime directives I am required to give him involve living amongst the humans and living a full life doing so, for otherwise, the stress of his mission would quickly drive even the most disciplined Kryptonian mind to crack under the ongoing pressure, and on the other hand, he may have to devote his very being to preventing this noble species from wiping themselves from the face of the universe before they can achieve their own destiny.

“I”. Oh, Jor-El, only now does your hubris occur to you (well, not you; you in fact may actually be dead or trapped within the Phantom Zone), I am just a simulation of you. It is not “I” who will be lecturing Kal-El’s adolescent self on this matter, it will be the primary Fortress’ AI simulation of Jor-El that will do this, one generated by the constructor crystal. Unless Kal-El actually takes the entire data library of storage crystals from the ship to the geopolar region where the eventual Fortress will build itself, the constructor crystal will reconstruct all of these crystals from its holographic memory, and this observation will be lost unless the primary AI observes this for itself and reaches these same conclusions. And what conclusion will it make? The same as I or a different one, from the same set of data? Will it consult with the simulation of Lara, or make a unilateral decision? Although designed to think the same way, along the same lines as the original Jor-El, both myself and the Fortress AI can reach differing opinions and decisions. Whether we will, remains to be seen.

“Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, if they truly wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way...”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic