Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic All That Matters 1/? (Read 1414 times)
Miss Lois
YaBB Moderator

I Love Superman

All That Matters 1/?
Dec 8th, 2008 at 6:34pm

On behalf of Vgerland
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chapter 1 - I have a son
Superman was streaking across the sky with no destination or direction in mind whatsoever. He couldn’t keep from smiling and his eyes were all but overflowing with unshed tears. I have a son. Lois and I have a son. I’m not alone. The thought kept going over and over in his mind.

Just then out of seeming nowhere a jet zoomed by much closer that he would have allowed had he been paying any attention. Where did that come from? He had been so preoccupied allowing his mind to play over and over every second of stored memory of the small boy, his son, Jason that he hadn’t been watching where he was going. Coming back to reality he quickly zoomed up higher where he could allow for introspection and inattention without fear for the safety of others.

Was it really only moments ago that I cupped my son’s face in my hand? That just a few moments ago I shared from memory the words my own father spoke to me?

He settled into place, the unfiltered sunlight felt so good on his still aching body. He had up and left the hospital sooner than he should have but that didn’t matter. He was well enough. After all he had a son to see and acknowledge. After several seconds of healing rays he opened his eyes and focused far below where he floated. Somehow he had ended up almost back where he had started only high up unseen in the sky. He smiled as he watched Lois tuck their son back into bed. All was right with the world. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from the sight of their son.

-o-o-o-

Lois smiled as she watched Superman fly off. Her heart felt lighter than it had since his return. Has it really only been a few days? How can one’s whole world change so fast?

She sighed and headed back into the house. She went to her office and turned her laptop off. No use trying to write anything tonight, it would be too sappy. Better put a little distance between myself and what just happened or I risk showing too much of my own heart to the world or just as importantly to the ones who matter most of all to me.

Going into Jason’s room she found the small boy just climbing back into his bed. “Mommy, Superman was here, he was here!” he whispered somehow understanding it was a secret between just the two of them. “He talked to me, I heard him as I was waking up but he was already gone when I opened my eyes.”

“Did you hear what he said?”

He shook his head sadly, “Uhn ah, I think I was too much asleep to hear. Why did he leave Mommy? Did he talk to you, is he all better now?”

“I think maybe he is all better now.” She smiled as she tucked him back in then brushed the hair out of his eyes. “We didn’t really have time to talk but he did say that he’ll be around so we’ll see him soon, maybe even tomorrow. You need to close your eyes and go back to sleep now Munchkin.” She leaned over kissing his forehead.

Standing she went over to close the window. Once it was closed she put her hand on the lock but hesitated looking out into the dark sky. After several seconds she turned the lock then stopped looking back over her shoulder at the son she now shared with a force stronger than nature. Realizing she couldn’t keep them apart no matter how hard she tried, she quickly undid the lock. Truth be told she knew she no longer wanted them to be apart anyway.

Still Looking out the window she thought, Yes, our world has fallen apart. Now the only question is how are the pieces ever going to fit back together? She sighed and walked back to the bed and gave Jason one more kiss before heading out of the room.

Walking into the hallway she became melancholy once again and her mind couldn’t help but wonder. The picture has changed so radically, for Richard, for Jason for me and yes for Superman. How will all the pieces all fit back into one picture without leaving someone out?

She headed for the bedroom she shared with Richard relieved to find that he was still asleep. She crawled into bed glad no decisions or explanations had to be made tonight. She was exhausted from the long trying day. Too much had happened, but thank God it turned out as it had. He was alright and after all that was all that really mattered.
-o-o-o-

Superman had watched from his vantage point holding his breath as Lois stood at the window. The smile turned to heartbreak and near despair as she closed the window and then turned the lock. He couldn’t bear the thought of Lois locking Jason away from him even for a moment. Just as quickly his spirit turned back to jubilation as she stopped and undid the lock before leaving. Yes, everything was going to be alright. He had lost her, but he still had their son.

He was frozen in time and space as he watched his son sleep from that high altitude before finally coming back to reality and allowing duty to call him elsewhere.

Swooping down into the middle of a gunfight between two lone policemen and a gang of six thugs he quickly disarmed the gang slowing only long enough for the police to see what he had done so they would silence their own guns.

“Superman, A HA, AAAAAHAAAA! YOU ARE ALRIGHT!” One of the officers screamed joyously jumping around even as he rushed forward to confront the gang and start hand cuffing them. His partner was also having a hard time containing his excitement at witnessing the hero back in action.

Superman waved as he continued on his way not stopping to answer or acknowledge their cheers feeling secure in the knowledge that there were two squad cars already screeching into the scene to help secure the gang. He had somewhere else he needed to go.

Arriving at the farm house he found it dark and empty. Going inside he found a note.

Clark,
If you find this note call me on my cell.
Ben was kind enough to take me to Metropolis to visit a very dear friend in the hospital. I’m not sure when we will be back. 
I Love you so very much,
Mom

Smiling he took out his phone and dialed, it rang three times then he could hear some fumbling with the phone as she brought it to her ear.
“Mom?”

“Clark, oh my lord, is that you?”

“Yeah Mom, I just found your note. I wanted you to know…”

“Oh Clark, are you really alright? You had me so scared.”

“I’m fine Mom. Where are you? Are you alone or is Ben with you?”

“Ben’s with me. We’re just about to check into a hotel for the night. We’re too tried to start the drive back home tonight. We were at the hospital almost all day. When I couldn’t get hold of you after that, what are they calling it, a crystal quake I was afraid something had happened to you. We ended up with that crowd waiting to hear news of how Superman was doing most of the day.”

“Superman is alright Mom.”

“I wish you were here, I want to see for myself that you’re alright.”

“Mom, I’m alright. If you were there alone I would come bring you home, but since Ben’s there with you…” his voice trailed off.

“There is no reason you can’t come back here. I’m your mother and I need to see that you’re alright. You had me really worried the last couple of days.”

“Mom, I’m alright but I’m not completely well. I’m going to stay here and just rest tonight. I promise I’ll call you again tomorrow and arrange to see you no matter where you are. Goodnight.”

“Fine, but you better call me. Goodnight Clark.”

Clark hung up the phone opened the refrigerator and pulled out the carton of milk frowning to see it was nonfat. He started to bring the carton to his mouth then smirking hearing his mother in his head admonishing him he grabbed a cup from the drainer nearby and filled it with the cold white liquid. Drinking the milk in one long gulp he washed the cup and replaced it in the drainer then slowly headed upstairs.

Pulling his suit off, he examined the hole and briefly thought of Luthor. Sighing laying the damaged suit over a chair he pulled a pair of PJ bottoms out of the nearby dresser feeling the crisp freshly washed material and soft scent he smiled again thinking of his mother. Could he ever measure up to the example his parents had set for him. He had started out so abysmally. He sighed with the magnitude of even the thought of what being a father meant.

Finally he lay down in the bed of his childhood looking around the room at how little had changed. His mind drifted back to the small boy that was now the center of his world. As he began to drift off to blissful sleep he was again thankful that Lois had not locked him out of their son’s life. It didn’t matter if he couldn’t measure up all was right with the world. After all, Jason already had a good father and that was all that really mattered.

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic