Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Poison- 5/? (Read 1449 times)
repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Poison- 5/?
Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:15am

Lois felt like the world had stopped moving for a very long second as everyone stared in shock at Jason’s still form on the floor. Then Richard launched himself from his chair and onto the floor beside the boy. Lois stood up suddenly, almost overbalancing until Chloe steadied her from behind.

“Call an ambulance,” Richard ordered, checking for a pulse. Chloe helped Lois onto the floor beside her son before rushing to get the phone.

Lois felt like she was moving in a haze, Jason’s face was so pale. Just a few seconds ago he’d been perfectly fine and now his breathing was coming in ragged gasps and his skin was grey and clammy to the touch. Lois stroked his hair, willing him to open his eyes and jump back up as if it had all been a big joke.

“Richard,” Chloe’s voice sounded so distant, “Should we call an ambulance? What if it’s the same thing Clark’s got, I think we should take him down to the hospital ourselves. I know several doctors we can blackmail, I mean trust.”

“I didn’t think of that,” Richard sounded closer but still so far away, Lois continued stroking Jason’s hair, trying not to notice how still he was, the only thing moving was the labored rise and fall of his chest.

In the background someone was screaming, Chloe was talking loudly then she heard her name over and over again. But none of it made any sense, the only thing she wanted was for her son to just open his eyes and be okay.

“Lois,” Someone was definitely calling her now. “Lois, are you okay?” Jason’s head moved and Lois felt a sudden flare of hope before she realized that he was just being picked up by a tall woman with blond hair. “Lois,” The voice called again but Lois had stopped listening, why was the lady taking her son? “She’s gone into shock, we need to get her some water.”

“Richard? Jason’s shivering, we need to go,” Someone called. A glass was placed in her hand and raised to her mouth water ran down her dry throat and reminded her how thirsty she was, she grabbed the glass and drank the rest in one gulp. The world came rushing back as she struggled to straighten up and follow Chloe and her son.

“Lois, take it easy,” Said the voice she now recognised as being Richard. “You were in shock. Lois!” He exclaimed as she continued to struggle, “Calm down!" Lois stopped trying to get up and took a deep breath.

"Where's Jason?" She asked first, realizing Chloe was no longer in the room.

“She’s taking Jason and Skye to the car,” He helped her up and led her to a chair, “We didn’t want to call an ambulance because we weren’t sure who would come. And we don’t want just anyone to look too closely at Jason.” He retrieved their jackets, helping Lois into hers. “This may be a stupid question but are you sure you’re up to…” He trailed off under her glare. “Nevermind, c’mon,” He moved forward to help her.

Chloe was in the front, holding a shivering, greyish Jason on her lap. Richard drove while Lois sat in the back trying to stay calm for her daughter. “Has Jason got the same thing Daddy’s got?” Skye asked, blinking away her tears as she clung to Lois’ neck.

“I don’t know sweetie,” Lois admitted as Richard broke several road rules and speed limits. The triplets seemed to be aware of Lois’ mood because she could feel them moving restlessly inside her.

“We’re here,” Richard announced, ten minutes later as they pulled into the carpark. He drove to the drop-off point, “Hey, Skye,” He turned to his niece with a somewhat forced smile. “Do you want to come get some food with me while your mother and Aunt Chloe take your brother in?”

Skye glanced quickly at her mother, then nodded. “Okay,” She agreed, climbing into the front seat. “Can we get McDonalds?”

Lois didn’t hear Richard’s reply as she clambered out of the car. Chloe was still holding Jason and talking to a dark-haired doctor with glasses. Lois couldn’t hear what Chloe was telling him but he looked annoyed before nodding and leading them down a short corridor into a darkened room. “Put him on the bed,” He instructed Chloe. “Who are you?” He asked Lois as she lowered herself heavily into a chair.

“This is Lois Kent, Jason’s mother,” Chloe explained, “Lois, this is Dr Trevor Marlin. He’s kindly agreed to look at Jason in exchange fro my silence on certain matters he’s rather not have his wife aware of.” Dr Marlin shot Chloe a dirty look but continued to examine Jason.

“What happened?” He asked finally, having recorded Jason’s heart rate, breathing, temperature and blood pressure.

“He collapsed,” Lois explained, looking closely at the man. Chloe seemed confident her threat was enough to dissuade him should he find any evidence that Jason was not a normal boy but Lois wasn’t as trusting.

“Chloe, can I speak to you alone?” She shot a glance at Dr. Marlin but he just looked blankly at her before returning his attention to Jason. Chloe moved foward to help Lois up instead. "And find me a wheelchair," She muttered as they exited the room, "I can't -" Suddenly the world seemed to blur in her vision and everything went quiet.

"Lois!" Chloe's frightened cry broke through her haze and she snapped back to reality.

“I’m fine,” She assured her friend, “Just a dizzy spell.” She noticed that she was sitting in a wheelchair, Chloe must’ve put her in it when she wasn’t with it.

“Lois, when was the last time you ate?” Chloe asked but before she could say anything Chloe continued, “We never had dinner, did we? Oh, my God, Lois, you need to eat, you’re having triplets this can’t be good. We’ll go-”

“Chloe,” Lois interrupted her friend’s rambling. “I’m not leaving Jason.”

“But-”

“You can get me something from the café. It’s bad enough that I can’t be with my husband the way I want but I’m not leaving my son for a second. Now, I need to know how much we can trust this Dr. Marlin.”

Chloe sighed, knowing it was pointless to argue. “Dr. Marlin is having an affair with his cleaning lady, I found out after I went to his house to interview him about the proposed budget cuts for the hospital last year. And believe me he’s the type of man who’ll do anything to stop his wife finding out.”

Lois frowned, still not entirely convinced but she couldn’t see any other way to get Jason looked at without running the serious risk of someone discovering their secret.

“Mrs. Kent?” Dr. Marlin opened the door and joined them in the hallway. “Jason’s condition is…well, I’m not quite sure what it is,” He admitted, “I’ve given him oxygen to help with his breathing. He seems to stable but I’m concerned that he may get worse. You said he was fine today?” he looked at Chloe.

“Yeah,” It was Lois who answered, “He was perfectly healthy then just before dinner he went to get a drink then collapsed two seconds later.”

Dr. Marlin leaned against the door, thinking for a moment. “Mrs. Kent, I may need to talk to you alone for a moment.”

“Anything you need to say can be said in front of Chloe.”

Dr. Marlin nodded, “Then please,” He directed them back into the room, Lois felt her dread grow.

--
“And what drink would you like with that?” The spotty college student behind the counter asked.

“Ummm,” Skye frowned, “Fanta,” She announced finally, “But with no ice,” She added quickly.

“Fanta, no ice,” He nodded. “And what does Dad want?” He looked up at Richard.

“Oh,” He blinked, “Just her Uncle actually,” He corrected, “I’ll have a double cheeseburger combo, a vegetarian wrap and…” He bit his lip, trying to recall what Lois could and couldn’t have. She’d being having an aversion to poultry but he didn’t know if that was over yet, she needed something though, he knew that much, “Make it two vegetarian wraps,” He decided to play it safe.

“Is that all?” Richard nodded and handed over the money. “Have here or takeaway?”

“Takeaway,” Richard replied, glancing at his watch. It had been twenty minutes since they’d dropped Jason at the hospital and after a few years in the business he was well aware that no new wasn’t always good news.

“Uncle Richard?” Skye asked as they climbed back into the car with the food.

“Yeah?” Richard answered a tad apprehensively; last week she’d asked him what Chloe had meant when she’d jokingly told him to ‘strap on a pair’.

“Do you think Jason has what Dad has?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart,” Richard leaned over and ruffled her hair, forcing what he hoped was an encouraging smile. “Why don’t we leave the hard questions to the doctors, okay?”

“Okay,” Skye didn’t look too encouraged but she didn’t ask again, turning her attention to her dinner. “Can I use your scissors to open my toy?” She asked, already taking them from the glove box.

“Um, yeah,” Richard muttered, checking his cellphone again, still nothing. He started to back out of the crowded carpark, Friday night wasn’t a the best time to get fast food. He looked down for a moment to check on the drinks.

Suddenly a loud horn sounded behind him and there was sudden jerk followed by a worrying crunch. “Damn,” He muttered. Slamming on the brakes, he anxiously looked at Skye. “Are you okay?” She looked a little shaken but as far as Richard could tell she was unharmed. “Okay, just stay here, I’ll be right back.”

The crash had drawn a few onlookers who seemed to decide rather quickly that no one had been hurt and lost interest. The driver of the other car, a young woman, was already out and assessing the damage. She didn’t look angry, much to Richard’s relief but as soon as he rounded the back of the car, he saw why. “Aw, damn,” He shook his head.

The woman laughed, “Yeah, looks like you got the worst of it.” The rear bumper of Richard’s car was crumpled, having just caught the towbar of hers as she reversed to let out another car, her car on the other hand didn‘t even have a scratch in the paint. A few honks alerted them to the fact that they were blocking the path out so they quickly exchanged phone numbers and returned to their vehicles.

"Just what I needed,” Richard muttered as he got back in beside Skye. As if he didn’t already have enough to worry about, at least the car was still drivable. “You alright?” He asked his niece, who hadn’t spoken since he got in. “Skye?” He turned to check she was alright, expecting her to still be a little shaken at the least but not expecting the massive grin plastered across her face.

“Look,” She held up the scissors, still grinning excitedly. Richard had a brief moment of panic as he wondered if she’d hurt herself but he soon realized it was exactly the opposite. The small pair of scissors which until a moment ago had been perfectly fine now had one blade bent at an almost ninety degree angle. Skye proudly held up her other unblemished hand to show him. “I’m im-vin-ri-dable.”

“Invulnerable,” Richard corrected, taking the scissors from her. He was a bit startled to say the least. Jason’s invulnerability hadn’t kicked in until he was nine, although it had been just as sudden. He turned the scissors over in his hands for a few moments wondering if there was anything peculiar about it or maybe all half-human half-kryptonians developed differently. He frowned in thought for a few more moments before he realised Skye was looking at him rather apprehensively, waiting for his reaction.

Richard grinned back at her, “That’s wonderful, sweetheart. You can keep these if you want,“ He handed the scissors back to her, not really sure what else to add, maybe he should ask her not to tell Lois she was using them in the car, but Skye seemed content with that and continued to examine her uninjured hand.

Only once they were out of the chaotic carpark and heading towards the hospital did Richard relax his grip on the wheel. It was turning out to be a very interesting day.

--
“Now, Mrs Kent, you have to understand that what I am about to ask you is very important and strictly confidential. I may have made some mistakes in my personal life,” Dr. Marlin shot a look over Lois’ shoulder at Chloe, who just nodded. “But my first priority right now is to my patients and right now that’s your son.”

“What is it?” Lois asked, growing impatient.

Dr. Marlin took a deep breath. “Mrs Kent, it’s very important but…I need to know who Jason’s real father is.”

--

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic