Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Poison- 2/? (Read 1625 times)
repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Poison- 2/?
Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:11am

“Mrs. Kent, this way please,” Inspector Henderson led Richard and Lois through the sterile halls of Metropolis General, “We can’t tell you much-“

“Can’t or won’t?” Lois interrupted.

“Can’t,” Henderson assured her, “All I can tell you is that it’s not kryptonite. The doctors are saying it looks to be some sort of virus attacking his system but no one can figure out exactly what it is or why it’s only affecting him. Would you prefer to see him or talk to the Chief of Medicine first?”

“Wherever there’s a seat I don’t have to leave for a while is fine with me,” Lois muttered, putting a hand on her sore back. She was incredibly worried about her husband but the pain in her back from carrying three babies was making it difficult to think. She was starting to regret turning down the offer of a wheelchair at the entrance.

“Here, sit down Lois,” Richard instructed, seeming to pull a wheelchair out of thin air. Lois was too relieved to protest as she sat down.

“Where did you get that?” She asked as they resumed their journey, with Richard pushing Lois.

“There was a nurse following us with it,” He explained, “I knew you’d get tired eventually,” She turned around to glare at him only to find him smiling back.

“I don’t like you,” She grumbled. Fortunately for Richard she was prevented from making any more sarcastic comments by their arrival at the office of the Chief of Medicine.

Dr. Oliver Higgins was a short kindly-looking man, “Mrs. Kent, I was wondering how long until you came for the next exclusive,” He greeted her.

Lois didn’t bother with any courtesies, her worry for her husband overriding any manners said husband had instilled in her in the last six years, “What’s wrong with him?” She demanded, failing to keep her voice as emotionless as she’d hoped.

Politely pretending he hadn’t noticed Dr. Higgins picked up a file on his desk, “Just got this back from the lab. They think it may be some sort of virus, we don’t know how he got it or where it could’ve come from. They’re working as fast as they can but,” He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, “Mrs. Kent, these things take time but at the rate he’s been deteriorating, time is something we don’t have. Now, and I swear this falls under doctor-patient confidentiality, is there anything, absolutely anything at all you can tell us? Maybe he’s mentioned something in an interview, just in passing, anything at all about viruses or diseases that can affect him?”

But Lois was already shaking her head, “I’m sorry. I’ve been trying to remember since the time I first heard about this,” she realized with some shock that it had only been half an hour ago that they’d dropped Jason and Skye off with Chloe and come to the hospital, “I’m sorry,” She repeated, “As far as I know nothing but kryptonite can harm him, and I think that’s what he thought too”. Truth was Clark had never made any mention of any Kryptonian diseases or viruses. The only thing he’d ever been worried about was kryptonite.

Dr. Higgins nodded in understanding, “The thing is,” He told her, “This is completely uncharted territory. He’s not even human, um,” He looked up, a little embarrassed, “No offence to him, of course”

Lois felt a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth for the fist time since she’d seen the news. It was always nice to be reminded how much Metropolis loved their Superhero, not that the crowd outside hadn’t been a big indicator. Clark wasn’t human but it was always funny how people would never refer to him as an alien. And it also meant that they wanted him cured, which was good for everyone.

“Can we see him?” She asked and Dr. Higgins jumped slightly when he noticed Richard by the door.

“Well you can’t go into the room with him,” He explained, “Until we know whether or not what he’s got is harmful to humans he’s in quarantine”

“Can we see him?” She repeated.

“Yes, follow me,” Richard pushed Lois’ wheelchair behind Dr. Higgins as the doctor continued talking, “I understand you were scheduled for a check-up?” He asked Lois. Noting her surprised look, he continued, “Jan Heath and I are good friends, she’s mentioned you several times. She was surprised by this was she not? I don’t believe multiple births run in your family?”

Lois nodded, “Yeah, I think I had some great-aunts who were twins but even on Clark’s side they’re all loners. This appointment was the last one before they’re due, Dr. Heath says I should be fine though.”

“We should reschedule anyway, multiple births are more susceptible to complications even with all these medical advancements they’ve been making. On that note, I don’t believe I’ve yet congratulated you, as I said triplets aren’t too common. These will be your…fourth?”

“Third, fourth and fifth,” Lois corrected as they turned a corner, “And, while I do appreciate the effort, changing the subject isn’t making me forget why I’m here.”

Dr. Higgins was saved having to reply by their arrival at the quarantine ward. He opened a door with a large biohazard sign to allow Richard and Lois through, flashing his ID tag at the two policemen standing outside. The sight that greeted them was far from optimistic.

They were in a small observation room separated from the main room by a thick glass window where Clark, or Superman to the doctors, lay on a white hospital bed. His face was grey and the only sign of life, aside from the heart monitor, was the slight rise and fall of his powerful chest. He was alone in the room and Lois felt a desperate need to be in there with him.

Dr. Higgins’ beeper went off and he exited, mumbling something about test results. Richard took Lois’ hand in his own, “Are you okay?” He asked softly.

“I don’t know,” She admitted, “I... When I saw it on TV I didn't quite believe it but now-” She broke off with a sob and buried her face in her hands, "Damn hormones," She muttered as Richard slipped a comforting arm around her shoulder.

--

Chloe Sullivan glanced at the clock for the fifth time in as many minutes. Lois and Richard had assured her that they would call if there was any news. Once again she had to resist the urge to turn on the T.V. Lois had explained how upset Jason and Skye had been when they’d seen the initial report, Chloe didn’t want them to see anything that would upset them further.

The kids were currently busy with a game of Risk, one of Jason’s favourites. Skye didn’t fully understand the rules but was having fun anyway. She trusted her Mom when she’d said that Daddy would be okay and saw no reason to worry. Jason wasn’t as confidant but seemed to understand that he had to look after his sister and leave the hard stuff to the adults.

“Aunty Chloe?” Skye asked, in the startlingly random way young children have, “Why’s the sky blue? And why is it spelt different?”

“Spelt different?” Chloe asked, unsure what she meant. Skye was forever asking questions about this or that but she sometimes forgot that adults couldn’t read her mind.

“Mrs. Van Asselt at school told me off for putting an ‘e’ in it then she told me off again for spelling my name wrong but,” she frowned, “They sound the same. And why doesn’t the moon fall out of the sky?”

“Um…” Chloe frowned, trying to recall her vague memories of high school physics. Fortunately, she was saved having to think of an explanation by the sound of her cell phone ringing. “It’s your mom,” She informed the kids after glancing at the caller ID. She flipped the phone open as she moved into the kitchen in case Lois had anything but good news. “Hello?”

“Hi, Chloe,” Lois answered. “We’re still at the hospital, they think Superman’s been infected with some sort of virus. I need to know if Clark’s mentioned anything to you, I can’t recall anything but you’ve known him for longer.”

“No, nothing,” Chloe answered, shaking her head from habit. “It wasn’t kryptonite then?”

“No, I never thought I’d see the day when I wanted to hear that my husband had been hurt by kryptonite.”

“Better the devil you know,” Chloe agreed, “What do you want me to tell the kids?”

“Tell them we’re on our way back and that we’re staying at your house tonight, I hope you don’t mind but Richard offered and-”

Chloe cut her off, “Lois you’re pregnant and your husband’s in hospital. You are in no fit state to look after two children, of course you’re staying with us. Also, I’ve phoned Perry and told him that Clark’s sick and he may not be in for a while so you don’t have to worry about that, okay?”

On the other end Lois had to fight back another wave of sobbing, her hormones were quite out-of-control today but then again, she had a good excuse.

To try and keep the kids’ minds off their Dad, Lois and Richard picked up pizza on the way home even though Lois didn’t feel she could stomach anything. In her mind she was trying to recall every single conversation she’d had with Clark about Kryptonian physiology.

Nothing came to mind, he’d told her stories of the huge crystal buildings they’d had, the science so advanced that they could travel light years across the galaxy in a single day. Jason and Skye had been told about Kryptonian history while Lois listened but out of all that the only things about Kryptonian medical science she could recall had to do with kryptonite and some sort of device that could heal broken bones in a second, and she only knew about the last one from when Jason was in his tree climbing phase and not yet invulnerable. But that was only supposed to be used for minor physical injuries, it wouldn’t help now.

When they entered the house, Lois supported by Richard and missing Clark more than ever, Jason and Skye didn’t even wait for a greeting choosing instead to launch straight into the questions.

“Is Dad alright?” Jason asked, “Why did he pass out? Is it kryptonite?”

Skye got the most important question out first, “Did you get Hawaiian?” Richard nodded. “What did Daddy say? Is he gunna be home to help me with my maths? Is he still Superman?”

“Kids,” Chloe tried to calm them. When it didn’t work she resorted to yelling, “JASON, SKYE!” Both kids stopped immediately and looked at her. “Leave your mother alone, she doesn’t need this right now. Go and wash your hands, come back here quietly then we can eat and tell you what’s going on.” Everyone started at her in shock. “Okay?” She asked and the children bolted for the bathroom to avoid her wrath.

“Thank you,” Lois told Chloe gratefully as Richard helped her to the couch. “This is just more than I can handle right now.”

“We’ll take care of the kids and the doctors are going to take care of Clark,” Richard promised her, “The only thing you need to worry about is taking care of these three.” He placed a hand on her swollen stomach and one of the triplets gave it a firm kick, making them both smile. Richard raised his eyebrows, “I sense soccer in their futures.” He joked, clearly trying to take her mind of the day’s events.

“That’s not going to work,” She informed him as Jason came tearing back into the room closely followed by his sister. “But, thanks for trying.”
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:26pm by Miss Lois »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic