Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Introduce yourself here (Read 16924 times)
repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Introduce yourself here
Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:02am

Introductions

I’ve decided we need a thread to introduce ourselves, mainly because every other forum has one and they’re a great way to tell people about yourself, your writing/reviewing style and also for new-comers to get into posting. (and everyone loves talking about themselves, c’mon, you know it’s true!) Grin. Try to include a little more than: ‘Hi, I’m new here and I love Superman, bye’.

I’ll go first…

I’m Grace, known everywhere on the internet as repmetsyrrah, which is from my Harry Potter days (read it backwards). I discovered Superman about two years ago, through Superman Returns, and went on a reading frenzy of comics and fanfiction. (much to the joy of my Batman obsessed best friend)

I live in New Zealand, that long little country down the bottom of the world so often mistaken for a part of Australia, but as much as I love my country I love to get out of it whenever I can. I’m very well travelled and oh-so-envious of a man who can visit every single country in the world in a day (without a passport too).

My stories are all quite different from each other. I’m still working on my writing technique and I love constructive criticism, I’m not afraid to give a little of it myself either. I love telling stories from the POV of ’outsiders’ in the Superman ’verse. (even got a series by that name) That is, not Lois, Clark or Jason, because I think it can be easier to relate to the non-super people. That being said, I also write stories like that anyway.

I think I’ve rambled enough, short of giving you my life story, so come on people, let’s get to know each other!

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Re: Introduce yourself here
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:48pm

Okay - I'm Deborah (AKA Dandello, AKA the Librarian, AKA the SHADO Librarian). I'm also the Admin here so y'all better behave. I re-discovered Superman (and Lois & Clark)  when Superman Returns came out and started collecting the comics again - to my DH's dismay and horror.

I've been married a VERY long time, have a son in grad school, and a puppy named Gracie (who occasionally gets called 'Lois' due to her penchant for getting into trouble).

I've been writing fanfiction since before the beginning. (Star Trek before it was TOS), Star Wars (before it was Episode 5), UFO and now Superman.

The Star Trek stuff is mercifully long disappeared and someday I may scan my Star Wars piece and post it at fanfiction.net.

I live near Portland, Oregon with DH and puppy.
I also manage several other sites on the web (and I get paid for some of them too.)

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

Bellarata
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:42am

I go by the name Bellarata. I live in california, am 37 yrs old, married, have 2 kids (age 9 and 10 as of this intro) I saw the Reeveverse movies as a kid (loved them) but wasn't obsessed. Recently started watching Smallville, which led to Lois and Clark and then to Superman Returns. As of this moment, I am equally obsessed with SR and Lois and Clark TNAOS. Started writing some fanfic and have been reading sooo much!
Erm, that's about it.

IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:43pm

Y'all know me from The Planet.  I think that's enough of an intro.   Grin

IP Logged

Saavikam
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Most of you all know me from The Planet and LJ. I go by Saavikam or Saavikam77 just about everywhere, Saavi for short. Have been a mad fic writer since SR premiered, and branched out from there after completing Superman: Aftermath into the wide world of the DCU. On LJ, I run the DCU Free For All, a low stress fic/art challenge for all DCU series/movies/books/etc, and am compiling a ginormous list of all LJ communities that have anything to do with the DCU.

In RL I'm a substitute teacher, waiting for a position to teach HS biology. I'm married and have 4 cats. Smiley

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:56pm

ThePariah wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:43pm:
Y'all know me from The Planet.  I think that's enough of an intro.   Grin

Not everyone here frequents The Planet. Smiley

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

winddancer
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 10:57pm

I am Winddancer and have been a fan of the Superman movies since 1978. I fell in love with Christopher Reeve when I saw those blue eyes and haven't stopped since.

I don't write fan fiction but I do love to read it.

In RL I am a nurse in the midwest. I specialize in oncology and hospice. You can find me at Livejournal and the Planet. I am older...49, married with no children and lots of pets.

TO FLY YOU ONLY NEED TO TAKE THE REINS

IP Logged

jj_the_elusive
Cub Reporter

Clois- my OTP :)

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 1:45am

Hey everyone:) I'm jammyjar on lj and jj the elusive on ffnet. I'm also a major lurker *shakes head* anyway, I fell back in love with everything Superman when SR came out in the theatres. Since then, I've rediscovered comic books, Lois and Clark TNAOS, the Superman cartoons from the 90s and something I would now die without, fanfiction. It's like a crack addiction, only healthier.  Cheesy  I do write it occasionally, but I of course prefer reading other people's work, which brings me to say that a few of you have written fics, and I think they're brilliant Smiley More on me- I'm a 21 yr old gal in college from Jersey. I'm very glad this place exists! Fun!  Grin

IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:32pm

Miss Lois wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:56pm:

I don't write nearly enough.  People don't really need to know me well.  I'm kind of a superfluous person.   Tongue

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:58pm

ThePariah wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 4:32pm:
Miss Lois wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 4:56pm:

I don't write nearly enough.  People don't really need to know me well.  I'm kind of a superfluous person.   Tongue

No one is superfluous - If you don't write REVIEW!

IP Logged

Mr. Beeto
Cub Reporter

Long Live the Movieverse

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:50am

Must have missed this when they started up the site...

Okay, I'm Brian, an IT Manager/Engineer Smiley from Michigan, who got bored one night a few years back and discovered there were some wonderful stories written based on some of my favorite shows and movies.  I tended to focus on Star Trek:Enterprise and Stargate:SG1 at first.  I guess that makes me a late bloomer when it comes to fanfiction.

I'd always been a huge Superman fan as a kid.  Collected the comics, couldn't wait for the Superman movie to come out, and saw all the sequels (III & IV were pretty bad).  I saw most of the episodes of L&C:TNAOS (and lamented the lost potential from occasional bad writing).  I also eagerly awaiting the arrival of Smallville, but also found bad writing limiting that show's potential as well and haven't watched it in years now.

I must confess that I wasn't too excited when I saw the previews for Superman Returns, but I still ended up going opening weekend, and it reinvigorated my interest in the mythos.  I ended up reading whatever fanfic I could find on it, and ended up coming up with some ideas of my own.  I never initially planned on fleshing out the ideas or writing them down, but I could only resist for so long before I started posting chapters, and I've met some wonderful folks along the way:  Some incredibly talented authors and others loyal reviewers.  My path was set.  It's been a wonderful journey, though I do stop to enjoy the scenery from time to time, too.

I'm not sure how many stories I have in me.  The first took a long time to finish (60 chapters, 157,000+ words), and it was a full year after that was done before I started my current work earlier this summer.  I don't know what I'll have after that.  There are a lot of little vignettes going through my mind.  Not sure what I'll do with them all.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 10:37am by Mr. Beeto »  
WWW YIM  
IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Miss Lois wrote on Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:58pm:
No one is superfluous - If you don't write REVIEW!

I suck at this too.   Wink  Character/event/film discussion is my forte.

IP Logged

Thietje
Cub Reporter

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 3:03am

My name is Brian, I live in Washington state and I'm not really very good at describing myself. I also collect movies that feature superheroes.

IP Logged

mak5258
Cub Reporter

laugh, seriously.

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:59am

Mkay; hi.  I signed up all of two minutes ago, so yeah.   Smiley

I'm Kenna, mak5258 on ff.net and livejournal.  I got started with the whole fanfiction thing with Stargate SG-1, then drawn over to Superman after I saw SR.  I've written stories for each (posted at ff.net because I'm technology impaired and can't figure livejournal out more than the posting bit).  I read Harry Potter fics, too-- more like going on Harry Potter binges, as I read a ton of it and forget about Superman for a month or so, then flop back to Superman again.  It's kind of odd.

I don't know what else I can say.  Technology impaired, not quite illiterate.  I live in Minnesota, home is the Twin Cities but I go to school in the southwest corner of the state.  I'm almost 21, a junior journalist major.

gravity is just an excuse for the people who never learned how to fly
IP Logged

Vgerland
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 6:36pm

I was trying to avoid having to learn another board but I guess I will try this one.  SHADO keeps inviting me and she has been kind enough to post some of my stories here for me. 

I have loved Superman since I was a little girl not able to really read the comics. (That was a long long time ago).  I was pulled back into the world of Superman with STM and the other CR movies that followed although the last two films did not live up to the first two.

I followed the comics for a while but stopped around the early 80's.  I loved Lois and Clark and the first few years of Smallville.

When Superman Returns came out I was only somewhat interested and had not followed the pre hype at all.  After seeing the movie the first time I was back in love with Superman.  That story spoke wonders to me.  I couldn't get enough and soon found the forum at The Planet and found some of the best writers continuing the saga where the movie had ended.  I lurked for a couple months but soon found I had not only started interacting with them but I was joining them in writing my own stories. 

I admit I was pretty green.  I have never been a good speller but I think I do have a good imagination.  My writing style is probably different from most.  I do not plan way ahead what is going to happen from chapter to chapter or have the whole story outlined before starting I do have a general idea where it is all leading.  I have ideas that I build around and I find the chapters usually just seem to flow out of me almost writing themselves around certain scenes.   That is also why my chapters may be posted close together or spaced out.  I have to write when the mood strikes me and sometimes it keeps me awake for days forcing me to write and sometimes it leaves me for weeks bereft of ideas. 

Hope I haven't bored you.  I was just wondering if anyone else writes that way or if you are more structured?   I do research some things but tend to like to just use my imagination whenever possible. 

Hope you enjoy my attempts.  I had always dreamed of becoming a writer and this has given me that opportunity.  Maybe someday I will attempt a story that can be published with original characters. 

Thanks for reading

Vanna AKA Vger AKA Vgerland

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic