Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic TDK (Read 9065 times)
Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

TDK
Aug 11th, 2008 at 3:46am

DH and I saw TDK this afternoon - can I have those hours of my life back? We both loved Batman Begins - but TDK? No thanks.  Tongue

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Re: TDK
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 5:13am

Really? I have to disagree, I loved it! Saw it with my sister at IMAX and I was just stunned. Cost me over NZ$60 and I'd gladly pay double that to see it again!!

But everyone's different, what didn't you like about it?

IP Logged

Miss Lois
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 3:02pm

It was too long for one - I would have preferred a cliff-hanger two parter so they could do more in depth with Dent and Rachel and Dent's fall into criminal insanity.

Some of the action and pyrotechnic sequences simply didn't work for me but I did like Heath's Joker - the best genuinely psychotic Joker ever on screen. The man should get an Oscar for making such an over-the-top character genuinely and believably terrifying.

And I will say that a film that doesn't open with ANY credits besides the production companies is extremely novel.

I think mostly the film was too 'busy' if that makes any sense - too much being thrown on the screen and too little time for character development except for the Joker. I know they were trying for subtle but there's such a thing as being too subtle.

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
IP Logged

repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:36am

Quote:
I think mostly the film was too 'busy' if that makes any sense - too much being thrown on the screen and too little time for character development except for the Joker. I know they were trying for subtle but there's such a thing as being too subtle.

That does make sense. I got the feeling that a bit too much was going on as well but I quite liked that. Im not very patient so the wait after Batman Begins 'till TDK was annoying at best, I enjoyed it all in one movie.

I also agree that Harvey should've been done better, I don't read batman comics so I don't know if TwoFace would've been a good main villain but to me it seemed like they really wanted that 'Batman takes the blame for the good of Gotham' ending (which was one of the things I loved about it) and saw TwoFace as the best way to do that.

Quote:
Some of the action and pyrotechnic sequences simply didn't work for me but I did like Heath's Joker - the best genuinely psychotic Joker ever on screen. The man should get an Oscar for making such an over-the-top character genuinely and believably terrifying.

I agree with every single word of that. Some of the fighting scenes (some) were hard to follow and made it difficult to see who was pwning who. And the Joker? Words cannot express how insanely awesome and terrifying that man was.

IP Logged

Bellarata
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:50am

I saw it and... let's just say that it didn't get stuck in my head after I walked out of the theater. I recently rewatched Batman Forever and I think I liked that one more than TDK.

IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Personally, I think it's the best comic-based movie made yet.  But it left me emotionally drained.  I'll buy the DVD when it comes, but it doesn't lend itself well to frequent repeat viewings for me.  I have to work up the fortitude first.   Tongue

I loved the easy humor between Bruce, Lucius, and Alfred--and the sick hilarity of the Joker.  I'll never look at a pencil the same way again.  For such a dark (no pun intended) movie, it had a surprising amount of irreverent laughs.  Heck, even the Batpod splitting off from the wrecked Tumbler got a chuckle out of me with the, "Goodbye!" sendoff.

IP Logged

Bellarata
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:38pm

ThePariah wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:40pm:
Personally, I think it's the best comic-based movie made yet.  But it left me emotionally drained.  I'll buy the DVD when it comes, but it doesn't lend itself well to frequent repeat viewings for me.  I have to work up the fortitude first.   Tongue

I loved the easy humor between Bruce, Lucius, and Alfred--and the sick hilarity of the Joker.  I'll never look at a pencil the same way again.  For such a dark (no pun intended) movie, it had a surprising amount of irreverent laughs.  Heck, even the Batpod splitting off from the wrecked Tumbler got a chuckle out of me with the, "Goodbye!" sendoff.

I agree, I got some good chuckles out this movie also, mostly because of the Joker. And I also agree, it was mentally exhausting. I admit to not being the biggest Batman fan so that might have something to do with it. But then again, i wasn't the biggest Superman fan either until i started watching Smallville, then Lois and Clark (which got me 100% obsessed) and then saw Superman Returns. Now SR I've lost count of how many times I've seen - esp a few particular scenes.

IP Logged

repmetsyrrah
Ex Member

I Love Superman

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 6:39am

ThePariah wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:40pm:
Heck, even the Batpod splitting off from the wrecked Tumbler got a chuckle out of me with the, "Goodbye!" sendoff.

Now that was just plain awesome. A car that turns into a bike? Hell yeah! That actually got most of my cinema cheering Grin

IP Logged

ThePariah
Cub Reporter

Alpha male cha-cha

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 3:36pm

Exactly.  It was totally unexpected.  We'd all seen stills of the bike beforehand and figured it was just a new piece of tech, but we had no idea it came straight out of the car--I mean, tank.   Tongue  It was a genius stroke.  Batman always has a Plan B...and Z!   Grin

And when it came barreling out of the alley with the front tire spinning SIDEWAYS, then went straight up the wall and twisted around...holy crapola.  That whole sequence of the chase rocked my face off.

IP Logged

Brin_Londo5
Cub Reporter

I Love Superman

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 1:55am

The only thing I really disliked about the film wasn't the movie itself, but the rabidly homoerotic fanboy-ism over Heath Ledger's performance.
Yeah, it was a good, no, a GREAT performance, but it wasn't worth the utter worship I found on many boards.

Personally, I nerd-raged over the "Joker-as-war-paint" concept, although I liked the return of the permanent grin scarring. Another thing that bothered me was the (assumed invalidation) of the 1989 Micheal Keaton-Jack Nicholson version of Batman.

Then it struck me, numerous reason why they did NOT invalidate one another.

The essay I wrote in my Livejournal is (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) if anyone wants to read it, it's too lengthy for me to retype or cut-and-paste.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic